Thursday, January 5, 2012

Welcome Home! Here is the Rule Book!

Dogs do not come pre-programmed, not puppies who need to learn even the basics, or older dogs who, just like people, all have different life stories and experiences.

The most important thing to do when welcoming a new dog (and this goes for foster and forever dogs) is set up a schedule with rules, boundaries and expectations.

Without these things you risk creating a dog that acts like a bratty teenager who's parents left him alone with the car and their credit cards - a free for all - causing unnecessary stress on you, your family, residents dogs and the new dog themselves. They have no idea what you want and when.


Shy, timid dog becomes more relaxed knowing that they have nothing to worry about; someone else is in charge. A dog that's pushing too hard to become "top dog" learns that the position is not available and that his life is far more enjoyable without the title. It is equally successful with dogs that fall anywhere between those two extremes.

When I bring a new dog into my home, I let them take in their new environment and give them time to settle in. I let them relax. I try not to introduce them to new people or dogs (other than my own, if I can do so safely). Over a few days they get used to me, my schedule and the sounds and smells of my home.


I do not give out rewards freely. For some dogs that means attention and snuggles, for other food and treats and for some dogs that means toys. Dogs can be motivated by different things - you just need to find out what the dog perceives to be rewarding and valuable.

Does this mean that I am mean to the dogs? Absolutely not! I work for my paycheck and dogs can too (their currency is just different). I use the 'Nothing In Life Is Free' program.

Before I let Winnie out of her crate in the morning for snuggles and do her business, she must sit. It took a few tries, but she now obliges very quickly - and we both enjoy that special time together (I always make sure to whisper to her "you can stay as long as you want, baby girl")!

Winnie also sits to go outside, for her dinner, for treats and when she wants to be pet.

In no time at all you begin to see the dogs honest and true personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment