Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Places I Have Been & The ThingsThat I Have Learnt

Before I was rescued I didn't have much hope. I had been abandoned (or lost and no one came to find me). I was scared and alone, running loose on the wrong side of town. It was apparent from the scars on my body, and my growing belly, that the world had not been kind to me. People had taught me not to trust and other dogs had caused me pain.


I was rescued a month ago, and since then have learnt many new things.

I have learnt that human touch does not need to cause pain. People are good and gentle and kind. People give me good food, speak softly to me, cuddle, play, keep me clean and many more wonderful things.


I have learn to ask to go outside, and when I do there is dancing, singing and delicious smelly treats. When I happen to go inside, no one scolds me or punishes me. We simply try again, and more often, to do things the right way.

I have learnt that I don't have to yell at other dogs. This took me a long time to learn. Fostermomma and her Walrus were so kind and patient with me. We took things real slow - no one rushed me. I know that Walrus probably didn't enjoy spending so much time in his room. I think he's an extra special old dude for giving me the space I needed to relax and settle into life here first.


When I was ready, Walrus was calm and polite about meeting me at the baby gate. He never stared at me or grumbled. And best of all, he shared his delicious homemade cookies with me.

Eventually, I gave up yelling at him when he walked by my crate to go outside It might have been the handfuls of dried liver Fostermomma threw at me to keep me busy every time he passed. It didn't take long before I warmed up to the idea of him being in "my" space (and even gave him a little wag after awhile).

A few calm dates late at night and before I even knew what had happened I had made a new friend.


It just kept getting better from there - just last week I had a play date with Fostermommas friends pony (a pretty Great Dane named Sasha).

I have learnt to sit for everything, to empty the toy box, to fetch and that things can turn around - they can get better.

I know there is more out there for me and Im ready for it. Will you be there? Will you help me learn to be the best me? I'll be waiting.

XoXo,
Winifred

For more info on adopting Winnie, click here or contact us at info@ador-a-bull.com

No comments:

Post a Comment